- Student gags cleaning out her locker at the end of the school year!
- Try not to eat with your mouth full…
- If you hear a honk, duck as it may be followed by a can of bug spray coming over the fence!
- After a week on the job site, a student came back to tell a teacher that those marks on the tape measure actually mean something!
- Student said she doesn’t know if her teacher said such-and-such because she never listens to him when he talks.
- Student expressed concern that she would fail her diploma exam because she forgot to put her address on the answer booklet.
Clips & Tips
Researcher Peter Bowers has applied scientific inquiry to the art of spelling in a way that heighten interest and increases vocabulary. This blog article is a fine summary of his work, and offers more information including a podcast and links to follow:
Bits & Pieces
- Summer vacation includes a break from Monday Memo: enjoy your rest!
- Paving our staff parking lot scheduled from July 4th to August 26th.
- Carpet cleaning (library) scheduled for July 10th.
- Gym floor refinishing scheduled for July 12th.
- Waxing scheduled from July 17th to August 19th so please do not enter without checking first.
- Teachers come back to school on August 25th.
- Meeting for all staff on August 29th.
- Staff get-together at the Pratt Ranch in the evening of August 29th.
- First day of school for Grade 10 and new students on August 30th.
- First day of school for all students together on August 31st.
Events This Week
- Monday, June 27th: CW and JN away at marking centre all day.
- Monday, June 27th: Physics Diploma exam at 9:00 AM in Room 141.
- Monday, June 27th: FS involved in collaboration for Finance/Entrepreneurship online.
- Monday, June 27th: NS involved in PD online.
- Monday, June 27th: Lunch by special order only.
- Monday, June 27th: Structured Word Inquiry (SWI) virtual session with Peter Bowers at 12:30 PM.
- Monday, June 27th: Dessert Extravaganza in afternoon in Staff Room (please bring something).
- Tuesday, June 28th: ACT training in Room 141 (other schools coming).
- Tuesday, June 28th: Science 30 Diploma exam in Room 137 (TBC).
- Tuesday, June 28th: School awarded marks into PASI by 3:00 PM.
- Wednesday, June 29th: PD Day.
- Wednesday, June 29th: Report cards go home at 3:30 PM.
- Thursday, June 30th: Summer vacation begins!
- Congratulations to TR for his appointment as School Principal at Prairie River Junior High!
- If you don’t want a sunburn on your teeth, try brushing them with sunscreen!
- 44% of students writing the Diploma exam on the first day incorrectly wrote their mailing address.
- A teacher spontaneously created a new Pink Floyd song, singing, “We don’t need no pro-creation…”
- Two teachers received compliments from a mother, who said that they saved her son!
Clips & Tips
Ever wonder why some schools succeed while others don’t? The reasons why may surprise you. See for yourself in this video, where John Hattie looks at what makes teachers successful:
Bits & Pieces
- Exam Week, June 17th to 28th (supervision schedule has been sent to all staff).
- Lunches for exam week to be ordered on paper at the office, $5 per meal.
- Staff BBQ Supper at JN’s: see sign-up sheet for bringing food, bring lawn chairs, 4:30 PM.
- No exams for national Indigenous Peoples Day – 11:30 AM BBQ for all staff.
- CW and JN participating in Diploma marking, June 23rd to June 30th.
- All Physics exams on June 27th.
- FS virtually collaborating for Finance/Entrepreneurship on June 27th.
- Structured Word Inquiry (SWI) virtual session for anyone who is available, at 12:30 PM.
- June 28th: division-wide CPR training in our school gym.
- School awarded marks to government by June 28th at 3:00 PM.
- June 29th final PD Day.
- Report cards go home on June 29th.
Events This Week
- Monday, June 20th: JoG away all day
- Monday, June 20th: Smudge in Cor’s room, 8:15 to 8:30 AM (TBC).
- Monday, June 20th: Interviews begin at 9:00 AM for VP position (EV).
- Monday, June 20th: All ELA exams and ELA Diploma Part B exam.
- Monday, June 20th: Hot Lunch is Grilled Dill Pita Wrap.
- Monday, June 20th: BN (PVO VP) spending afternoon at EWP.
- Monday, June 20th: Meet at JN’s house for Staff BBQ.
- Tuesday, June 21st: No exams in honour of Indigenous Peoples Day
- Tuesday, June 21st: Staff to share lunch together—details to confirm.
- Wednesday, June 22nd: All SS exams and SS Diploma Part B exam.
- Wednesday, June 22nd: Lunch is Pizza Subs.
- Thursday, June 23rd: CW and JN away for Diploma marking.
- Thursday, June 23rd: Robotics/Coding virtual collaboration all day (SM).
- Thursday, June 23rd: Biology and Science 10/24 Exams.
- Thursday, June 23rd: Lunch is Snack Box.
- Friday, June 24th: CW and JN away for Diploma marking.
- Friday, June 24th: All Chemistry Exams, including Diploma.
- Friday, June 24th: Lunch is Ham Sandwich.