- Our VP at PVO has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do!
- First lockdown practice at PVO went poorly (everyone got shot except the secretary), but it was a great learning experience!
- You know you’re running like a hamster on a wheel when you show up an hour early for a meeting but don’t even realize it…
- Student asked if I was the new principal now. Yes, I started here three years ago!
- Saying “coaching Grade 6” into an apple watch for a text message turned into “coaching great sex!” Proofread before you press send…
- Another new name for a staff member: Ms. Jordan!
- A student evidently quit vaping: there were hundreds of dollars of vape paraphernalia in the boys’ bathroom garbage this week! (Photo available upon request…)
- A teacher received a painting of a red dress for MMIP, but when walking down the hall with it, another teacher thought it was a painting of a bum (derrière) because it was upside down!
- Question from student: is my unit exam worth many marks?
- Staff member rolls out the door at the end of a PD meeting (but we all thought he had fallen over)!
Events This Week
- Monday, May 9th: Smudge in Room 126 from 8:15 to 8:30 AM.
- Monday, May 9th: Lunch is Southwest Turkey Wrap and Quinoa Salad.
- Monday, May 9th: CRM meeting all together in Rm 153 at 3:30 PM.
- Tuesday, May 10th: EV and TR at Board Office all day.
- Tuesday, May 10th: Hot Lunch is Pesto Chicken Wrap with Fruit Kabobs.
- Tuesday, May 10th: School Council in evening (6:30 PM).
- Wednesday, May 11th: Trip to Grande Prairie with Career Coaches (designated students).
- Wednesday, May 11th: Hot Lunch is Corn Chowder and Cheddar Biscuits.
- Thursday, May 12th: Dress-up with a Jersey (or other team wear) for Spirit Day.
- Thursday, May 12th: Hot Lunch is Stuffed Peppers and fruit.
- Thursday, May 12th: Parent Society (fundraising requests) in evening (6:30 PM).
- Friday, May 13th: PD Day—meet with whole group in Rm 141 for annual planning at 9:00 AM
- Friday, May 13th: Group meeting followed by Breakout Groups for strategic planning.
- Friday, May 13th: Individualized PD as per Google Form from 1:00 to 3:30 PM.
Clips & Tips
Have you ever heard of the banana principle? It’s a principle that was called something else over a century ago, but it makes total sense and could offer a solution to changing some disagreeable student behavior at our school. Make sure you read right through to the end of the article so that you’re not surprised when we install pink lights in the student bathrooms:
Clips & Tips
In light of some of our past PD regarding bias and preconceived ideas, this video will round out our understanding. This author’s story was so compelling that I could not help but watch the whole discourse. Hopefully, it will be the same for you! Find it here:
Bits & Pieces
- Classroom renovations are now underway, so please check timetable for class locations.
- Insurance team visiting our school at noon on February 8th, 2022.
- Next PD Day on February 9th, 2022: still waiting on confirmation regarding a Poverty Simulation with PVO.
- Teachers’ Convention is on February 10th and 11th.
- Blanket exercise has been moved to April 29th at 9:00 AM.
Bits & Pieces
- Please remember that we allow no symptoms whatsoever in our school.
- Please remember to let us know right away if ever you are sick.
- Our next regular biweekly meeting will be on January 17th.
- Next Administrators’ PD on January 18th
- Next LST meeting on January 19th
- CST class lists (modules) in to office by January 19th
- Administrators’ Math PD on January 21st
- Last regular day for work in from students is January 21st except for student arrangements (including teacher-originated arrangements)
- Last regular day of classes for Semester One on January 24th
- Exams and work periods for Blocks 1 and 3 on January 25th
- Exams and work periods for Blocks 2 and 4 on January 26th
- All marks in to office by January 26th (except noted exceptions)
- Make-up exams and assignments on January 27th and 28th as scheduled
- Marks in to government on January 28th
- News: students have permission to transfer between EWP/PVO and St. Andrews without special permission if they register before January 31st, 2022.
- January PD Wellness Day on January 31st, 2022
Bits & Pieces
- So far, 82% of Grad students’ parents have completed the survey; results to be shared after school Monday at regular teachers’ meeting.
- Reminder to put notes in Maplewood for absences; we cannot send letters until phone contacts have been made or attempted.
- In next week’s team meetings (March 8th), we will determine which students represent the five greatest learning needs in our classes and look over the playbooks of strategic plans for meeting those needs. Teams will have to ensure the strategies are indeed classroom strategies.
- At our March 12th PD Day, we will be discussing what we want for the new Pratt, choosing PTI dates for Term 2 (plus 2 hours from January), discussing what are our expectations of streaming, sharing plans for April 1st treat day, setting up our lock-down practice.
- Also on March 12th, our indigenous PD will be at 1:00 PM.
- Daylight Saving Time begins on March 14th. Spring Forward, so prepare to lose an hour of sleep!
- A Day to Remember: we are working on a major treat day on April 1st; stay tuned for details!
- Term ends April 1st, the day before Spring Break.
Great Things Seen & Heard
- It’s only helpful to remind people which cycle day it is on the second Tuesday if it is typed correctly into the reminder (groan)!
- Our new Computer Tech is still with us!
Clips & Tips
With so many of our teachers heading to Laval for a conference on Response to Intervention next week, this video will help us get ready for what they’re going to share with us when they get back:
Events Next Week
- Monday, May 6th: Assembly at 9:00 AM
- Monday, May 6th: EV away in PM
- Monday, May 6th: KT away in PM
- Tuesday, May 7th: No Day 3 meeting
- Tuesday, May 7th: EV at Principals’ Meeting in QC
- Tuesday, May 7th: Student Council meeting in library at lunch
- Wednesday, May 8th: EV at Principals’ Meeting in QC
- Wednesday, May 8th: Book Week author visit in AM
- Thursday, May 9th: No Day 7 meeting
- Thursday, May 9th: School Council after school
- Thursday, May 9th: Gr. 6 to Seniors’ Lodge in PM
- Friday, May 10th: Collective Marathon at 9:00 AM
- Friday, May 10th: Grads packing at Super C
- Friday, May 10th: Basketball clinic after school